Brexit Individuals & Families

Brexit information for Individuals & Families 

Important information regarding Brexit. Click on links below for further detailed information.

Brexit – Information for individuals & families
Visiting Europe after Brexit

For example, you’ll need to:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance to make sure you are covered for healthcare
  • make sure you have the right driving documents
  • get a health certificate for your pet, as UK pet passports will no longer be valid in the EU (contact your vet at least 4 months before you travel)
UK Nationals living in the EU

Continuing to live and work in an EU country after Brexit depends on the rules in that country.

For example, you’ll need to:

  • register or apply for residency
  • check if you are covered for healthcare and register if necessary
  • exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live
  • check your passport
EU citizens living in the UK

For example, you should check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme (if you or your family are from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland).

Pet travel to Europe after Brexit

How to prepare for travel with your pet to any EU country whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal.

Bringing your Pet, dog, cat or ferret to the UK

You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:

Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.

Your pet may be put into quarantine for up to 4 months if you do not follow these rules – or refused entry if you travelled by sea. You’re responsible for any fees or charges.

You must follow extra rules if the animals will be:

News & communications

  • Check out over 700 topics regarding Brexit
Brexit general guidance & regulations

  • Check out over 900  topics regarding Brexit